Twitter

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mirror and Image An interesting relationship

The style was cool. The cut perfect, bangs framing an oval pretty face. Highlighter applied, concealer to hide the spots, a touch of mascara, lipstick to add colour, shadow to enhance and the face was good! The image seemed pretty pleased with the ‘makeover, having spent not only a fortune but sleepless nights of planning (Ouch!! now That was the cause for those dark circles) and hours of office time. Hmm ! well!
The outfit was tailored to perfection, size zero, classy accessories, branded watch, trendy bag, stylish footwear, Prada sun shades…Okay that’s enough, the image was mighty pleased!

‘So, what do you think mirror ?’ Asked the image with a touch of arrogance
‘Well, just about okay!’
‘That’s ridiculous! This, this awesome image that you are reflecting is just okay? Maybe you’ve grown old, senile or plain jealous’
‘Well, old maybe, after all I have reflected some beautiful women in my life, like your grandmom for instance’
‘Ah!! Grandma was plain, simple, cuddly and sweet not a trendsetter. But look what you are reflecting today, I bet you’ve never seen an image like this before.
‘I can offer you some tips honey! To make you look astonishing’ the mirror seemed to jump at the opportunity
‘Better than this??Well go on, make your advice short and crisp and don’t expect me to shell out any more bucks. I'm drained out!’

‘Oh No! It doesn’t cost a penny! How about adding some warmth to your smile, a firm grip to your handshake, a softness to your voice, some gentle allure to your expressions and gestures of goodwill. Like calling on your Mom for instance, taking a break with your family, a movie with your sis, reading to your child and spending a weekend with friends. Come back and talk to me after three months, you will see the difference.’
‘Huh???How dry, boring and outdated! You amaze me! How on earth are all these things going to improve my image, my looks. Its only going to make me tired and drained out! Who has the time anyway? See you around and thanks, but no thanks!’

When the image did not get any extra attention despite such herculean efforts, she thought about giving a couple of those experiments, a try.
Four months later, she went back for a tete-a-tete. ‘Alright, here I am, I did heed some of your advice. What do you think?’ There was an unmistakable warmth in her voice.

‘You sound happy and warm. I think your smile must have reached your eyes which could be twinkling, not with extra mascara but with joy from within. You maybe looking radiant and alluring. I can now confess that I am perhaps reflecting someone much more confident and beautiful than even your grandmom. I know that I am now reflecting an image of inner beauty radiating an outer charm.’
‘That sounds fine, thanks but why do you sound as if you cannot see me properly?’
‘I have grown old dear, the image is hazy, a film appears before my eyes but I like the sound of your voice, your confidence your goodness and your attitude. Just that it came a bit late for me to completely feel and enjoy the beauty and radiance that you emit.’

The image felt sad! How often have we wasted time postponing a good deed to the next day? How often have we ignored a friend who was depressed and coping alone, hoping that she would recover by ‘tomorrow’, failed to call on an ailing relative, cancelled a trip to the mountains with family, escaped from the School’s Annual Day celebrations, snapped at Mom for seeking help with groceries, passed on the responsibility of accompanying Dad to the doctor to someone else, just sat indoors and slept through a beautiful day, doing nothing?
How much has just gone by? And cannot be retrieved? How often have we been obsessed with our looks and conscious of the image we project to the outside world, ignoring the call of the soul which comes from within but radiates outside? Taking a cue from the ‘image’ let me pretend that tomorrow may never come and yesterday is dead, but today is here, with beautiful moments to be captured!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely tale with a very wise message, or rather messages. Inner beauty indeed means way more than anything outer. And we take too much time to realize it and to fix things when we do something wrong.

    ReplyDelete